Joining a Sport Club
If you are interested in joining a sport club, please email the appropriate club contact
for information on practice times and locations. Then, just click on the name of the club, scroll to the bottom left and click "member add", and complete the required information. Waivers are also available from the "member add" page. Just click "print a waiver", located at the bottom left of the screen. Bring that waiver to the first practice and hand it to a club officer. Your name will not appear on the club roster until your contact information is online and
a waiver has been turned in.
Who Can be a Sport Club Member?
All officially enrolled students (undergraduate and graduate), faculty and staff of the University of Maryland, and in some cases, members of the University of Maryland Alumni Association are eligible to join a sport club as a regular member, though competitive eligibility is based on each sport's governing body regulations.
A sport club at the UMD may serve several purposes. The intent of some clubs may be to sponsor teams which compete on an intercollegiate level or within area sport associations.
Sport clubs must have a history of at least one year of successful operation to become eligible to receive funding Campus Recreation Services. However, in their first year, clubs may apply to the Sport Club Program and be eligible for all other benefits, if accepted. After one year of this probationary status, clubs will be eligible to request funding.
In order to become part of the Sport Club Program, the following information must be submitted to the Assistant Director-Sport Clubs:
- Confirmation from the OCP that the Club is a registered student organization for the current academic year.
- Confirmation from the SGA that the Club is recognized and eligible for funding (as necessary).
- Completed CRS Recognition Request Form.
- Completed CRS Club Membership Roster Form (at least 15 current members).
- A letter detailing reasons for why the Club wishes to be admitted to the Sport Club
- Program and indicating a willingness to abide by Sport Club Program regulations, if accepted. This letter must be accompanied by details of club activities during the past year (if applicable).
- Copies of two current members’ American Red Cross Community First Aid and Safety certification cards.
- A copy of the Club's proposed operating budget for the year.
- A copy of the Club's current constitution and by-laws which should include detailed information on the Club's sanctioning organization and other rules, regulations and requirements that may apply to the Club.
- A complete listing of all equipment owned by the Club or by individuals and used by the Club.
- Safety equipment and specialized training that would be required for the organization’s activities.
- Information on time and duration of season, practices and or meeting/practice space required for the operation of the Club.
- Information on national governing bodies related to the activities of the organization.
Criteria for Consideration
The Assistant Director-Sport Clubs, after consultation with the Club’s representative(s) and the CRS Director, will decide on the request and inform the Club president in writing of the decision. Acceptance of a club into the Sport Club Program will be based upon the following criteria:
- The availability of facilities and required equipment, and the impact of the proposed activity on the usage patterns of existing facilities and equipment for intercollegiate, recreational, intramural, or physical education purposes.
- The availability of the Club's financial resources and potential of generated revenue to adequately fund the proposed activity.
NOTE: Sport Clubs must have a history of at least one year of successful operation under CRS guidelines to become eligible to receive funding from CRS. After one year of this provisional status, clubs will be eligible to request funding.
If your organization is accepted into the Sport Club Program, it will be granted a provisional status and notified in writing. Provisional clubs may enjoy all the benefits of the Sport Club Program, but must wait one year to be eligible for funding. After one year of successful provisional status, the Club will be granted full status.
For detailed instructions contact Tiffanie Morgan, Assistant Director for Sport Clubs, at 301-226-4402 (send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The degree of student participation, leadership and interest in the proposed activity.
- For competitive clubs, the availability of adequate competition within the mid-Atlantic region (radius of 300 miles from the University of Maryland).
- Length of time the organization has been active on campus.
- How the organization will contribute to CRS’ mission