A fun and FREE event where students get to Make Moves in teams of 2, running or walking the campus and “tagging” the noses of 5 campus Testudos. With a partner, participants will be challenged to navigate from one Testudo to another, using only Terrapin trivia clues issued at each Testudo, until they have “tagged” all 5. It’s an “Amazing Race” to stock up on luck before exams while fitting some healthy physical activity into your Friday afternoon.
All Maryland undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to participate.
Friday, May 9
Invite your friends
- Event starts at 2:00pm
Event will be cancelled in case of inclement weather.
Starting at the sundial on McKeldin Mall
To get some physical activity while having some fun with your friends and testing your knowledge of UMD trivia. And possibly win some prizes.
WHAT TO DO?
Recruit your friends to do this with you.
- Dress for walking or running and bring your UMD student ID.
- Between 1:15pm and 1:45pm on Friday, May 9th, check-in to participate at the CRS tent near the sundial on McKeldin Mall.
- Register and pick up your first clue for the Tag the Testudos Challenge.
- When the challenge starts at 2pm, take off with your partner and run or walk to Tag the Testudos.
- At each Testudo, check in with a Make Moves Maryland staff member who will record your visit and issue a clue to help you find the next Testudo. Don’t forget to rub Testudo’s nose!
- After “tagging” all 5 Testudos, join other event participants at the finish line for a prize raffle. Every participant completing the challenge is eligible to win raffle prizes.
WHAT ARE THE PRIZES?
Make Moves Maryland t-shirts, Maryland flag apparel and accessories, and a few surprise gift packages.
- All participants must be currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate students.
- All teams must have 2 members.
- All teams must register and sign the event waiver form prior to participation.
- Teams will be randomly issued red, gold, or white course passports and initial clue.
- All teams must wait until the event starter gives them permission to start.
- Participants may walk or run the course (wheelchairs also permitted). This is not a timed event.
- Teams must complete the randomly assigned challenge course (red, gold, or white), tagging the Testudos in order for that course.
- At each Testudo, teams will be given a sticker and the clue to help them find the next Testudo.
- Teams are encouraged to use their heads to solve the clues, but use of smart phones will not result in disqualification.
- If a team arrives at the wrong Testudo (e.g. at the 3rd one before the 2nd one), the Make Moves staff member will alert them that they are moving out of order through the course and must follow the clue to the previous Testudo.
- Teams that return to the finish line (final Testudo) without tagging all 5 Testudo statues in the correct order will not be entered into the prize drawing.
- While this is not a timed event, only those teams finishing by 3:00pm will be eligible for prizes.
- At least one participant from the team must be present at the drawing to win a prize.
- Teams must abide by all campus rules designed to protect the safety and wellbeing of all members of the community.
- Accidents or injuries during the event may be reported to any Make Moves staff member. In the event of a serious accident where a staff member is not available, call 9-1-1 or campus police.